Sunday, June 6, 2010

The Trip So Far

Well we set off about 7.30pm on 5 June and arrived in San Francisco about 8am - my birthday! We didn't have enough time to go into the city but it was a beautiful day with a temperature of 22 degrees. We found a nice little bar at the airport and Bo shouted me a couple of birthday drinks. Having made the most of it being my birthday we switched over to US time and boarded the plane to Dallas at 5pm 5 June for a 3 hour flight.

I was still wide awake so I kept the flight attendant flat out serving me drinks (still in birthday mode) all the way to Dallas. Dallas is about 2 hrs ahead of San Fancisco so we arrived in Dallas around 10.30pm  5 June Dallas time  Dino warned us it would be hot but neither of us were ready for the heat blast that struck us as we got off the plane. It was still well over 35 degrees. Dino was there and he drove us out to Plano, a satellite city to Dallas. I love this place! 11.30 at night I am in a petrol station buying Napa Valley wine and an 18 pack of Coors. I haven't had this beer since 99 and I set about renewing my aquaintance with it keeping everyone up till 3.30am in the morning.

We both awoke about 8.30am to the sound of Dino telling us to get moving. It was my birthday (again) and he had a surpise. Actually there were a couple. The first was the bloody heat. The temperature was climbing rapidly to an expected high in the 40's . This had Bo and I both realising that we wouldn't be using many of the clothes we had brought with us. Straight to Wal Mart where we picked up some more clothes. The second surpise was my birthday present from Dino. Tickets for all of us to the baseball game Texas Rangers versus The Tampa Bay Rays at Ranger Stadium. What a place! One thing these people do well over here is build sports stadiums. It had every kind of beer and fast food you could want and guys running up and down the aisles with the beer in big buckets of ice. I love this shit!


The hat was another present from Dino!


The game itself was pretty entertaining with the Rays being hot favourites in the league right now. The Rangers didn't let the fans down and we had a great day out. It was seriously hot tho! These shots are of the Ranger's picture Rich Hardin


Bo and I are the first to  arrive so things are pretty quiet. We plan to do some sight seeing over the next few days while we have the place to ourselves. There are a few parties this week with everyone heading out to Billy Bob's Bar (the biggest honky tonk in the world) on the 10th and the send off party  on the 11th.


1 comment:

  1. Haha Dad awesome post, love the hat and pics :) Happy Birthday again for the other day but spare a thought for us poor buggers trapped in the hail and depression that is Wellington

    ReplyDelete